Sunday, October 28, 2012

I Heart Macro - Australian native flora.

Hello friends,

This interesting plant is an Australian native that I saw last week in a wonderful garden that is full of predominantly native flora at NMIT in Fairfield, Melbourne. ( Australia ).

I have been going there each Monday for the last two week for a few hours to participate in a jewelery making class.

I usually arrive early, go to the kiosk and have a tasty and energising big cup of coffee and sit back and enjoy the garden and birds for a little while before going in to class. It's a great way to start the day.

Just look at this color, furry bits and pollen! So wonderful.

Fabulous colour and precision placement of 'petals'.

 I am really fairly ignorant about our indigenous flora. ( I do not know the name of either plants above.. all information is welcome).

My brother, David was the lover and expert of Australian native plants and had an extensive garden full of them. He used to call my exotic plants "weeds"! Yes, even the roses!

When we move house next year as planned, I really hope to plant a native floral garden. They are a great attraction for the birds and butterflies and easier to look after than 'exotic' plants. They also use very little water, too, which is a real bonus in these times of changing climate patterns. I am looking forward to a garden with a little less maintenance. ( more time for jewelry making! )
Not too sure if I can entirely give up my roses though! 

Today I am linking up to I heart macro... for those who love to take up close and macro photos. Click on the photo icon below and it will take you straight there for a look!


studio waterstone


11 comments:

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Stunning flowers beautifully photographed. I've not seen either of these before. Our Australian natives are amazing aren't they.

EB Bead and Metal Works, LLC said...

Oh Jenni - those flowers are amazing! I love the yellows and oranges of the first one and those fuzzies are amazing - just want to reach out and pet the plant :) Have a wonderful day!

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Jenni,
Those are gorgeous flowers, I really love the first one. I wonder if they are in the Spider Lily family. I do not blame you for not wanting to give up the roses.
Therese

Annette said...

Those are beautiful flowers. I've never seen anything like the first one. I say keep the roses!

Shel said...

Oh my goodness, these are so lovely!! Great macros!

Kenneth said...

Amazing flowers and your pics are really beautiful!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous flowers, especially the first one. The colours, shapes and textures are fascinating.

betty-NZ said...

How lovely! I'm not sure which I like better!

Molly said...

They look familiar and yet also so unknown... thank you for sharing a slice of your world.

Mollyxxx

Unknown said...

Hi, what an awesome sharing ever. really nice.
Native Australian Plants Toowoomba

Unknown said...

Hi,
This type of flowers i never seen,thanks for sharing.
Native Australian Plants Toowoomba

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...